This section contains answers to some of the questions most frequently asked about CIM.


What does CIM stand for?

‘CIM’ is an acronym that stands for Centre for International Migration and Development. The Centre is jointly run by the Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH and by International Placement Services (ZAV), which is part of the German Federal Employment Agency (BA).

What does CIM do?

CIM supports the international cooperation efforts of the German Government as a competence centre for global labour mobility. Our main role is to place technical experts and managers in jobs all over the world. That includes finding suitable work in developing countries and emerging economies for experts from the EU and others who have migrated to Germany and we have been doing all this since 1980! 

What are CIM’s goals?

CIM aims to harness the potential of migration and facilitate knowledge-sharing, thus contributing to wider efforts to improve the prospects of people in developing countries and emerging economies. CIM stands for expertise in the fields of international labour mobility and migration. Whether through our placements, networks or advisory services, it is our conviction that the knowledge and expertise of individuals offer tremendous potential for development. In the right place at the right time, just one person can provide the momentum needed to bring about crucial changes and pave the way for innovation. Hence our motto: ONE PERSON CAN MAKE A DIFFERENCE.

Who are CIM’s services aimed at?

CIM offers a variety of services for different target groups and stakeholders. We support:

Integrated Experts

Experts from Germany and the EU who want to work and put their skills and knowledge to good use in developing countries and emerging economies;

Further information

Returning Experts

Migrants who have completed an apprenticeship or worked in Germany and now want to return to their countries of origin and are looking for a suitable employer

Further information

CIM is jointly run by the Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH and International Placement Services (ZAV). How exactly does this joint operation work and what are the roles of each partner?

GIZ provides services all over the world in the field of international cooperation for sustainable development. Within CIM, GIZ staff implement international cooperation projects on behalf of the German Government. By way of example, we might be asked to find a suitable expert from the EU for an assignment with an employer in the field of development and to ensure that the assignment achieves a sustainable impact.

International Placement Services (ZAV) is a special unit within the German Federal Employment Agency. With decades of experience in the field of international recruitment and placement, it plays an invaluable role in the joint operation by finding skilled personnel and experienced managers from the German and EU labour market who are interested in working abroad. It also provides advice and support on migration issues. The ZAV team organises presentations, trade fair appearances and seminars.

As a migrant in Germany, I am thinking about getting involved in my home country and contributing to its development. What support is available from CIM?

CIM offers a variety of services for migrants who wish to contribute to the development of their home country. Further information can be found in the section "What we offer".


The offers for diaspora experts, diaspora organisations and business ideas for development have moved. You can now find it at

As an employer, I’m currently looking for people with relevant skills and experience in the EU. How do I apply to CIM to help me find the right employees?

CIM can organise the recruitment process for you. Depending on the individual scheme, the experts we place receive a salary top-up, travel expenses and possibly workplace equipment from German government funds.

There are two possible forms of support:

CIM finds and places experts and managers with extensive professional experience from Germany and the EU in key positions in the field of development.

Your contact as an employer for the placement of integrated experts:

GIZ country offices

We also find and place graduates and experts from Asia, Africa, the Balkans, Eastern Europe, the Middle East and Latin America who have studied or worked in Germany and can also communicate in your local language and have knowledge of the country.

Your contact as an employer for the placement of returning experts:

I’m interested in a career in international cooperation (‘development assistance’). Where can I apply?

If you would like to work in international cooperation in Germany, you can apply for vacancies advertised by GIZ or ZAV.

Tip: If you wish to be kept informed of all the positions that match your profile, you can set up a job alert in GIZ’s vacancies section.

GIZ vacancies German Federal Employment Agency ‘jobs board’

If you want to work abroad as an expert placed by CIM, you can apply for one of our advertised vacancies

Job market CIM

For more jobs in the field of development cooperation, see the jobs portal run by Entwicklungspolitik Online at:

Entwicklungspolitik online (in German)

I am a nurse and would like to work in Germany. Where can I apply?

The Triple Win project recruits international nurses for hospitals in Germany. For more information, please see:

Triple Win project website

I would like to make contact with CIM in my own country. Whom should I contact?

If you have any questions about the integrated experts programme, please contact your local GIZ country office.

GIZ worldwide

If you have any questions on the subject of migration, please contact